DPD: Suspect allegedly bit off, spit out officer’s finger during arrest

DENVER (KDVR) — The Denver Police Department said a suspect allegedly bit the top of an officer’s finger off during an arrest Saturday.

It started as a possible domestic violence call. Police responded to an alley behind a restaurant on University Boulevard just after 1 p.m.

A witness said the suspect, identified as Tyron Brooks, 48, was in the street yelling about someone pushing his friend down, according to the arrest affidavit. The witness described him as out of control.

When officers arrived, they saw a man standing over a woman sitting on the ground. According to the affidavit, she appeared to be terrified.

The arrest affidavit said the man was standing with one foot in front of the other and was moving his hands as though he was ready to fight, all while yelling erratically.

Officers asked to speak with Brooks, but he refused to separate from the woman. Then, officers tried to talk with the woman, but Brooks allegedly blocked her from standing up and told them she couldn’t speak with them.

Police worry for woman’s safety

Brooks turned toward the woman and put his face near hers, yelling at her again, according to the affidavit. He then allegedly pulled back his arms in a full wingspan and put his hand over her mouth when she tried to speak to officers.

At that point, officers were worried for the woman’s safety and grabbed Brooks’ arms to prevent him from striking, according to the affidavit.

Police said he tried to stop officers from gaining control by grabbing a fence. When officers pulled his hands off the fence, Brooks allegedly pulled his hands toward his waistband.

Officers thought he might be reaching for a weapon, according to the affidavit, so they took him down to the ground on his stomach. He kept reaching for his waistband while officers tried to gain control and give verbal commands.

Suddenly, Brooks turned over onto his back, and an officer’s hand ended up near Brooks’ collarbone.

Suspect bites police officer’s finger off

That’s when, according to the affidavit, Brooks turned his head toward the officer’s hand, opened his mouth and bit through the officer’s left ring finger.

The bite completely severed the tip of the officer’s finger between the last knuckle and the nail. Brooks turned his head and spit the tip of the finger out, according to the affidavit.

Other responding officers rolled Brooks back over to his stomach and were able to place him in handcuffs. He was booked into jail on an investigative hold for 2nd-degree assault on a peace officer.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button